According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

An Enormous Oz Thank you to IWOC

From August 4th to August 7th I spent my only yearly vacation in Banner Elk, North Carolina for the International Wizard of Oz Convention (IWOC), which was my very first IWOC event.  Where does someone even begin to adequately put to words something that has left my life permanently changed?  So in no real particular order is my list of thanks to those who were involved

Dearest Jane Albright:

     First and foremost I need to deeply thank you for e-mailing me asking why one of Oz's most favorite fashion people was not attending IWOC and its very own fashion show.  From that initial phone conversation about why IWOC and why Banner Elk and leading me to talk with Karen Owens more about what makes this convention different than others I have attended.

     Jane, you completely and utterly outdid yourself and I am forever and humbly indebted to making  this last weekend one of the very greatest moments of my entire life.  From the beautiful spaces where each event was held, to the guests hotels, to the Convention events, displays, lectures, goody bags not to mention the absolutely delicious catering each and every step you kept wowing us and out doing yourself time and time again.  Your dedication to not only Oz but to the IWOC, its members and those of us as fans made me feel the immense love of not only this great movie, the timeless stories that have been written but the very true and very deep and personal relationships that I made this weekend all because of you. 

     I would have never had this experience if you had never asked and for making this event and for making me so at home.  I am deeply moved.  Thank you.

Dearest Karen Owens:

     From the very first moment I met you, now almost I believe four years ago, you have done everything within your power to make me feel truly loved.  Your dedication to every thing Oz related is overwhelming, your thoughtfulness in keeping your eyes open for something you knew I would love and would want in my own collection, well that just stunned me.  To take the time out of your schedule not even three weeks before this convention started to speak with me about IWOC is something I will never forget.  If you ever need anything in any way shape or form I am here for you---just ask.  All of my love.

Dearest Sean Barrett:

    From the very beginning I arrived in Banner Elk I knew I was in for something life altering and your dedication and love for the Wizard of Oz is VERY obvious from the second I got to finally meet you.  For taking the time out of your personal life and making the entire "Land Of Oz" day even possible; as I tried telling when I left to come home to Ohio, I was and still am eternally in indebted to you, your incredible kindness and undying generous nature for making my life long dream of being in Oz possible.  From the minute I met Dorothy in front of her home in the theme park I knew I was in for something entirely magical that would never leave me the same.

Words can not begin to describe to you what you did for me this weekend and making me fall ever more deeply in love with Oz.  I know we hardly had any time to talk but your kindness is something I will never forget.  Sean, your one in a trillion and I just need you to know how much I appreciate everything you did.

Dearest Micheal Siewert and his Parents:

     Michael, your parents are some of the most amazing people I have ever met.  From the minute your mother took me under her wing and made me feel like part of your amazing family I knew how utterly blessed you are for having them in your life.  I have never laughed so hard in my life, from your mom and Dad trying to walk in that eschewed Dorothy house to your mom literally pulling Dorothy out of her sleep in the Poppy field "Time to get up Dorothy, that's enough sleep were hungry" to just every kindness they showed me I am at an utter loss for words.  It goes beyond that for me.... Michael you treated me the entire weekend like royality and your kindness, humor, generosity has been your most endearing qualities.  To take the time to show all of the dresses you own, plus items you have never shown anywhere else, left this fan as always overwhelmed.  I can not begin to describe how overwhelming blessed I feel to have you and your parents for even just 2 days in my life.  After the months of health issues I have had, the depression I have felt since April: and other minor things I have had to face you and your parents made me forget every last bit of it.

I'll love all of you all of my life and your kindness to me is something that I will forever cherish--as always all of my undying love.

To Deb Dwyer, Karen Owens, Barb Evans and others who asked about me:

As some of you might have known I was slightly under the weather this last weekend and you three ladies along with some others ,whose names I have forgotten somehow, took me to heart and kept asking me how I was feeling/doing and just plain old "mothering" me.  The last five months have been very hard with my own mother having had 4 strokes in that five month period and to have you gals embrace and "coddle" me just made the weekend that much more special to know you three were always asking about me.  You gals are just great thanks again.

There are so many people to thank for so much:

Scott and Walter:  the decorations were amazing and your giveaways drawings was very kind of both of you.  The two of you are just incredible guys.

Freddy: For sharing your birthday with all of us and your Ticktock cake.

Mike-- for being the emcee for the incredible fashion show and to everyone that participated.  What fun that was.

Billy-- for all of the work at the park, the displays and all the other leg work that seemed to keep you so busy.  With all that in mind you still were just one of the sweetest men I have had had the privilege to meet.

And to everyone else who had anything to do with this incrediblle weekend-- al of you are just amazing---Thank you all so very much for every second of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a great time too, and I've seen Jane do this before, she is indeed the greatest when putting on a convention. The lady knows her stuff! Even though we hardly talked at all, I could see you were having a great time. I hope to see you next year and spend some time with you.
Peter Schulenburg