According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Aunt Jane's Nieces and Uncle John

Well the next book in the series of Aunt Jane's Nieces is Aunt Jane's Nieces in Society which I previously owned before this particular auction win and i think I have reviewed before if I am mistaken I will go back re-read the book and then blog about that as well.

The book I just finished reading though is "Aunt Jane's Nieces and Uncle John". Originally published in 1911 by Reilly & Britton Company of Chicago is just an absolutely delightful story.

The book measures 7 1/2 by 5 1/4 and is 275 pages in length. My edition from my E-bay win is a First Edition Second Printing, which basically means the only Aunt Jane's books advertised are the current ones published at that time and at the end of the book there is a "small boxed blurb" about the volumes of this delightful series. This book originally sold at sixty cents.

This story deals with Uncle John Patsy and Beth going cross country in a motor car for part of the trip to California--the land of sunshine and roses as it is described in the book. Niece Louise has married her beau from the European vacation and is on her honeymoon so she is absent from this story. Although Van Dyne/Baum includes two brand new characters who are just as intriguing as our main ones we have had all along.
The first is Myrtle Dean who has been shipped damn near penniless by her ruthless Aunt to an Uncle she has never met because the Aunt does not want to deal with her emotionally and primarily financially any more. Well needless to say or Uncle John and girls meet Myrtle thankfully as her Uncle has flown the coop as they say.

Well a train ride ensues to about half way to California and than an automobile trip ensued. 1911 travel is vividly and wonderfully brought to life by Baum and kids let me tell you in a gazzilion years I would never would make a trip like that with the top speed at a mere 50 miles an hour! I did drive from Cleveland to San Fransisco once, took 3 days to do it and the country was beautiful to say the least. But I am sure 1911 is was much more vast nothingness than in 2002 when I did the trip.

Anyway there is a new dog to in the story adopted by Patsy and he is named Mumbles--cute name huh? A kidnapping, cowboys, Indians, a near suicide attempt and slews of page turning events making this book a stand out!

The only illustrations are again the front cover and one inside black and white which are included here.

For some personal news--- I want to thank the few people who have responded to me about this blog and the focus, possible focus and possible changes. I have never been really sure anybody really reads this, I know a few do but I wasn't sure if it made a difference. Well after your responses I feel it does.

The majority of you voiced that you come to this blog because of my posts about Judy and Oz and many of you "may not know me personally" so you felt like you were creeping into private space. I appreciate that. My closest friends though will tell you I am an open book, so don't feel like you don't know me---I want you to, even if we never meet personally. One can never have to many friends

One specific new reader commented "Save your deepest thoughts for those who know and love you the most" I guess my response is that by reading this you may grow to know me and at the least "like me". He also said "Your writings are beautiful and remind me of something I learned in my years of working at Shanti Project in SF. "The broken heart is the heart that has been broken Open- to give and to receive more love."
My heart has been been broken wide open and somehow I survived, G-d knows how but I have. It has made me stronger, braver as my friend John Fricke reminds me all the time. My heart for the most part rejoices and celebrates everything that The Wizard Of Oz, L. Frank Baum, Judy Garland has stood for and stands for. It is a HUGE part of my life. It inspires me, motivates me and encourages me!
Judy especially has done so very much for my life by being in my life, molding my life and if asked for the most part Judy is on my mind 24-7-365. Kind of like that new movie Julie/Julia and her fascination with Julia Child, which by the way I HIGHLY recommend. If only my blog was that successful.

Well this book puts us at over the half way point in the Aunt Jane Series, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am and I hope if nothing else it makes you want to do something I think is sadly dying in America..... and that is READ!


No comments: