According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thought of the day

I am still reading--slowly I might add because of the amount of hmework as the semester comes to an end----"Losing Julia" by Jonathun Hull.  I also have been thinking about World AIDS Awareness day quite a bit here lately too.  What was I going to say, expound one and until I read the following passage I had no idea.  Even though this book is about World War I, I felt that this passage could be about any tragic event.......

"We walked among the rows simple white crosses that guarded a silence so absolute and dense it pressed against my eardrums like water at the bottoms of a very deep pool.  That one there , he was a new father and next to him, the last of three brotherskilled and that one there was to have been a poet and that one there a teacher and over there a great scientist and that one a writer and that one a priest and that one ther, there in the corner, well that one could have been you, oui?

Names, endless names impaled accusingly on endless white crosses. "I always think of their mothers," said Julia, holdiong herself as though she was cold, her arms crossed in front of her.  I remembered teh sound of men calling their mothers; how common it was, so that you cae to expect it. 

"Maybe they should bury everyone in the same cemetary," I said.  "All of them, so that people could visualize the toll.  Can you imagine it, millions and millions of headstones and crosees and Stars of David in row after row, with one war right next to the other?"

Can you simply imagine such a place, the effect it would have on our very planet? Or would it?

No comments: