According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Aunt Ida Pieces A Quilt" by Melvin DIxon

They brought me someof his clothes. The hospital gown,
those too-tight dungaress, his blue choir robe
withthe gold sash.  How that boy could sing!
His favorite color in a necktie. A Sunday shirt.
What I'm gonna do with al this stuff?
I can remember Junie without this business.
My neice Francine say they quilting all over the country.
So many good boys like her boy, gone.

At my age I ain't studying no needle and thread.
My eyes ain't so good now and my fingers lock in a fist,
they so eaten up with arthritis. This old back
don't take kindly to bending over a frame no more.
Francine say ain't I a mess carrying on like this.
I could make wo quilts the time I spend running my mouth.

Just cut his name out of the cloths, stitch something nice
about him.  Something to bring him back, You can do it,
Francine say.  Best sewing our family ever had.
Quilting ain't that easy, I say.  Never was easy.
Y'all got to help me remember him good.

Most of my quilts was made down South. My mama
and my mama's mama taught me.  Popped me on the tail
if I missed a stitch or threw the patter out of line.
I did "Bright Star"and "Lonesome Square" and Rally Round,"
what many folks don't bother with nowadays. Then Elmo and me
married came North where the cold Connecticut
cuts you like a knife.  We was warm, though.
We had sackcloth and calico and cotton, 100% pure.
What they got now but polyester rayon. Factory made.

Let me tell you something.  In all my quilts there's a secret
nobody knows.  Every last one of them got my name Ida
stitched on the back side in red thread.
Thats where Junie got his flair. Don't let nobody fool  you.
When he got the youth choir standing up and singing
the whole church would rock.  He'd throw up his hands
from them wide blue sleeves and the church would hush
right down to the funeral parlor fans whisking the air.
He'd toss his head back and holler and we'd all cry holy.

And never mind his too-tight dungaress.
I caught him switching down the street one Saturdy night,
and I seen him more than once.  I said, Junie,
you ain't got to let the world know all your business.
Who cared where he went when he wanted to have fun.
He'd be singing his heart out come Sunday morning.

When Francine say she gonna hang this quilt in the church
I like to fall out. A quilt ain't no showpiece,
it's to keep you warm.  Francine say it can do both.
Now I ain't so old fashioned I can't change,
but I made Francine come over and bring her daughter
Belinda.  We cut and tacked his name JUNIE.
Just plain and simple."JUNIE, our boy."
Cut the J in the blue, the U in gold. N in dunagrees
just as tight as you please. The I from the hospital gown
and the white shirt he wore First Sunday.  Belinda
put the necktie E in the cross-stitch I showed her.

Wouldn't you know we got to talking about Junie.
We could smell him in the cloth.
Underarm. Afro Sheen pomade. Gravy stains.
 I forgot all about my arthritis.
When Francine left me to finish up, I swear
I heard Junie giggling right along with me
as I stitched IDA on the back side in red thread.

Francine say she gonna send the quilt to Washington
like folks doing from all 'cross the country,
so many good people gone. Baies, mothers, fathers
and bos like our Junie.  Francine say
they gonna piece this quilt to another one,
another name and another patch
all in a larger quilt getting larger and larger.

Maybe we all like that, waiting to be pieced.
Well, I don;t know about Washington
We need Juie here with us.  And Maxine,
she cousin May's husband's sister's people,
she having a baby and here comes winter already,
The cold cutting like knives.  Now where did I put my needle?


Melvin Dixon died of AIDS October 26, 1992

No comments: