According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Pre-Daddies day wish

Gay, straight, married, divorced or single and even step-fathers--Happy Father's day to all the men lucky enough to have children in their lives.



My Father
We were never really close when I was growing up.
You were always working andwhen you weren't
there was never anytime for me.
We never really had anything in common like most father's and sons.
I made an effort a few times and it never made a difference.
I grew to resent you not wanting to be
part of my overall life.
I never heard you say--- till I was 38--- that you loved me.
I never felt you hug me---- till I was 38.
Telling you I was gay was one of the hardest
things I ever had to do, but I knew I had too.
Telling you I had AIDS was even worse.
But when I did I expected we would only have
2 years left together--we have had so much more than that.
Hearing you tell me you had cancer was something
I never expected.
It changed everything over night,
it changed very little in the long run.
I respect that man that you tried to be,
the home, the food and the things I needed
growing up
But I needed you more as
my dad--my friend
than as my father.
I'll always love you
and have never been able to say it to you.
I needed to say these things to you this year,
even if it is in this space, and in a place
that you will never see it but I
feel better now having said it.
Happy Father's Day---- Dad

No comments: