According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Friday, October 1, 2010

Mondo's Big Reveal on Project Runway

I want to start off by saying I have not blogged about Project Runway Season Eight because I knew the amount of work it would take to do and do it well. Kids, I don't have that kind of time this semester. It doesn't mean I am not watching and certainly doesn't mean I don't care; it is just that their is no time honestly.  I have been with all of you in loving some of the fashion this season on the show and down right hating some of it as well.  I have been with you when we all thought Gretchen was being a big b*tch but then her real personality came through and well now she is rather nice. I miss Peach and her wonderful phrasing "Don't show the good china."

On to the real reason for this post..... Mondo Guerra.  Last night's challenge was to be inspired by something very personal and very moving from your past.  I would be inclined to do something that changed my life forever personally.  While some embraced the culture they were raised in, or an area where they lived our boy Mondo was well inspired by this ten year old secret he has held.

He said last night that he was from a devout "old world" thinking Catholic background and that his mother had asked him not to come out to his father as being gay.  That in itself kids could have been an outfit.  But Mondo's secret was even bigger than that and NO ONE knew.  Till last night.

The designers were of course asked to once again use technology to design the print for the material they were going to use and while it seemed like it took forever for Mondo's secret to be revealed to us the viewers I NEVER saw it coming.  I know kids naive isn't it.  I was stunned, speechless and crying.

Mondo had held from everyone that he was HIV positive for TEN YEARS!  I can't begin to imagine the pain he was in all that time.  Feeling he couldn't talk about it to anyone.  Then shortly after his "private" on camera confession to us the viewers in walks his mother.  Oy Vey.  We never did see Mondo tell his mother about his status and I am hoping that he had the opportunity to do so before last night's show.  You could see Mondo's pain, it was so real and raw.

All it took was Nina Garcia asking "I wish I knew the story."  At first it seemed like this look from Mondo was "Good luck lady, because I am not about to tell you of all people."  Then it happened and the back story about the pain, the loneliness.  I sat crying my eyes out.  I so wanted to and still want to hug Mondo and tell him everything is going to work out. 

Then of course Michael Kors comments about turning something that potentially could have been very sad into something very vibrant, very joyful and very beautiful.  That we, as not only designers but as people, need to see the positive in situations and to somehow look beyond the pain and loss and all of the other crap to what we really have.  That we are thriving, creating, loving creatures no matter even if no one accepts us or supports us.  Kids, it was painful to watch.  It was also like Michael Kors, herself, b*tch slapped me into reality and was speaking directly to me. It left me changed.

That even though my family will never get what I am fully doing and why; that they will never understand my career; that my world of further education and fashion is worlds away from where they are---it doesn't matter at all.  I don't need all of that, as Jim says that I am doing it for myself and no one else.

Mondo, darling, if you by chance you are reading this you are not alone by far.  Your an inspiration to those like yourself who are afraid to come out.  You are also an inspiration to those of us who have had this disease for a long time as well.  That yes we can, yes we will and yes it is ok to want it more than life itself.  Mondo, it took great courage to do what you did and I applaud you for doing it.  I am here if ever, for some reason, you need someone to lean on.  There should be more Mondo's in the world.

In age of where it seems like gay kids are killing themselves more than ever before, we need afirmative, loving, brave, courageous men and women to come out about who they are. To tell the world it is ok to be who you are that the face of AIDS has changed.  The diagnosis of AIDS has changed.  That we twentysome years into this disease ned to be more understanding, more supportive and more encouraging so that those living with it can and do come out.

Well until tomorrow kids, I am so glad we had this time together.

No comments: