According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Friday, November 18, 2011

Judge Orders Rape Victim to Pay Spousal Support to Her Rapist

crystal harris rape, rape victim ordered to pay attacker spousal support, rape victim alimony, rape victim spousal support
Crystal Harris is being doubly victimized.

The first time Crystal Harris was raped, it was by her husband Shawn. Now she says that the second time it happens, it will be financially. A judge has ordered Crystal to pay her now ex-husband spousal support to the tune of $1,000 each month when he is released from prison.

“He wanted to have sex and I said no,” Crystal Harris said as she described her assault. “He kept saying this is not up for negotiation. When I finally realized that I had no choice, I mean, he was pushing my head down; I finally talked him into letting me go to the bathroom. I realize I’ve got that tape recorder not far from where we are right now.”

The entire assault was caught on tape and what it captured was enough to convict Shawn Harris of a felony — forced oral copulation.
Vista Judge Gregory Pollock’s decision is fully within California divorce law. He explained his decision, saying he couldn’t justify not awarding Shawn alimony because Crystal was the primary breadwinner in the family. Shawn made $400 a month for every $10,000 Crystal brought home in income.

The only way Crystal would have avoided spousal support, the judge explained, is if her husband had tried to kill her. Attempted murder is a deal-breaker, but rape remains A-OK in the eyes of the court.

But just because Judge Pollock’s decision is legal doesn’t mean it is right. San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis is working on Crystal’s behalf to amend state law before Shawn’s release from jail.

“I just can’t imagine that I would be the only woman that this might ever happen to,” Crystal Harris said. “It’s morally reprehensible. No rape victim should have to pay her rapist.”
 
Whoa. Thoughts?

No comments: