According to Examiner.com

According to Examiner.com
According to the Examiner.com---since 01/09/11

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

June 24, 1969 "The Daily News" partial paper


I mentioned a few posts back that a great friend of mine had found a fair amount of Judy Galand items at a "Swap Meet" and decided to purchase most of that lot in New Jersey and send them my way. To Lisa, I am indebted its friends like you who make the worls a kinder and gentler place, I love you girl!

Anyway on to the newspaper it is the June 24, 1969 "Daily News" from New York City and is pages 3 and 4, pages 19- 20, 61-62 and 77-78 which show primarily pictures of Jusy and the Wizard of Oz. If you can not make out the headlines with the photos I have done they include "Doc: Judy Had Diseased Liver" by Henry Maule (Staff Correspondent of the News), "The Judy Garland Story: Under The Stardust Lay Hate For Her Mother" by Peter Coutros (Second in a Series of Articles)and "Liza Mourns 'Vital Woman'"

A lot of these stories are most of what has been said repeatedly over the last 40 years about our Judy--some true, some not, some the stories told by Judy herself and than made into the truth, when in reality she was showing her ability as a comediene and story teller. With that said I want to include some of the "new things" I for one have not seen or read before......

.....Westminster Coroner Gavin Thurston ordered and inquest be held Wednesday... In view of a statement by Miss Garland's former London Surgeon, Dr. Philip Lebon, that she had been suffering form cirrhosis the coroner could have decided that death was due to natural causes and not ordered an inquest"......

....Informed sources said suicide would be ruled out. Because of advanced cirrhosis, they said death must have been imminent.....

" I know my mother was a great star and a great talent, but I am not thinking about those things today. What I am thinking about is the woman, my mother, and what a lovely, vital, extraordinary woman she was. It is because of my memory of that woman that all my life I will be proud to say 'I am Judy Garland's daughter'".
Liza Minnelli


No comments: